Monday, July 9, 2007

MTV

Not so long ago, I was one of those couch potatoes who can’t stop themselves from watching MTV. I even came to a point where I would answer “watching MTV” when asked what my hobby is. But what is it in an MTV that puts us under spell and we watch it over and over again? This question have been boggling my mind for some time already. What I am certain of is that I admire makers of MTV for the reason that they can make a story out of song, which runs for only a short period of time (only minutes to be exact). Not only do they make an MTV per se, but they can make the viewers remember the song more because of the MTV they created. Since mtv had become part of our everyday life, the mtv makers can easily send out important messages that either serve us an eye-opener for us or maybe a personal message or whatever they wish to convey. One example of this is the mtv of “Where is the love?” by Black Eyed Peas. In this video, the central theme is war, particularly the conflict between Iraq and America. The film maker used footages of battles/wars that were happening at that time. I think that this video was created partly because of what had happened in the September 11 attack. This video became a hit and had captured the attention of many viewers. The makers of this video were wise enough to bestow the main message behind their creation which is Stop the war and spread the love.
Of course this blog wouldn’t be complete without mentioning my favorite MTV. Well, maybe not my favorite but the one that struck me the most- the video of “Hand in my pocket” by Alanis Morissette. Whenever I hear the word MTV, this video automatically enters my mind. I can never forget this video because it was the first video I've seen that deviated from the conventional form of mtv. The usual mtv that we see are those that act out whatever the message of the song is. Like for example, a song about falling in love, more often than not the subject of the video will be about lovers. Anyhow, going back to my favorite video, Alanis Morissette’s video stood out and became a hit. On the first part of the video, Alanis was still seriously singing the song but on the latter part, she started laughing and obviosly, the lip sync was ruined. The video was one-of-a-kind!
On a last note, I'm glad that our teacher asked us to make an mtv so that we too, could experience the gruelsome process of making a video. But sadly, due to other academic demands, there was not enought time to make a real video instead we ended up making a storyboard. Nevertheless it was fun playing the role of a director! ;p

No comments: