Monday, June 18, 2007

I HAVE to admit, I’m really having a hard time blogging about Art. In trying to analyze an art piece, I always end up with a headache. I think my eyes are blind, well at least in a figurative sense. Maybe this is when Art appreciation comes in handy. I just hope that after this course, my eyes would be able to witness the beauty in every art piece.

Last Wednesday, we were required to watch the Chamber Ensemble perform and needless to say, as Art appreciation students, we are expected to comment on their show.

I believe that not everyone appreciates the sound of Mozart, Beethoven and the like. Personally, I find it boring (no offence to the fans of this kind of music). On a positive note, this kind of music helps me fall asleep. I wonder why I don’t like this kind of genre, when in fact my dad loves listening to these pieces. Anyhow, given that a number of students will not have a grasp of this show, I believe that it is the responsibility of the host to capture the attention of the audience particularly to those who have little interest in listening. However, the host failed his task for several reasons. First, he was speaking in a monotonous tone which I think made me yawn for quite a few times. Subsequently, he was uttering jargon terms that obviously only a few will understand. Unfortunate enough, I’m one of the naives who can’t understand what he is trying to convey. Nevertheless, I feel that the host had given his best shot and so, he deserves a round of applause! *clap clap clap*

After a long introduction, it was time for the members of the Ensemble to give a lecture about common instruments in our culture and also in the western section. I must commend on this part of the show. The members were wise enough to accompany their informative speech with visuals on the background. Not only that, they also gave a demonstration on how to play that particular instrument. Two thumbs up for these very talented individuals!

The chamber Ensemble performed revivals of Mozart, Bethoven and our very own, Mr. Ryan Cayabyab. Although I really don’t appreciate Mozart and Beethoven’s music, I enjoyed watching the orchestra play. I never expected that they would be that good. The performance was close to the original version.

I wonder: Are revivals ART? (Given that they lack one of the universal substances of art which is originality)

No comments: