Saturday, June 2, 2007

I call it ART

I always wanted to be an “artist”. Someone who is different. Someone who thinks outside the box. Surprising isn't it? Well I have stop believing that I can be one because I know it is innate. It is something you can not learn to do. Well yes maybe you can learn it but the product is still significantly different from the work of a natural-born artist. Hence, Art became one of my frustratons in life.

I have always thought that anything can be labeled as art as long as it is different or unique. Art pieces are the ones that stand out. Yes maybe it’s true for some. But in reality, uniqueness is not the only basis.

In the first sessions of our Art Appreciation Class, we were asked to bring an object that we consider Art. Ignorant about the standards, I brought a caricature of my boyfriend & I. Indeed, it has an interesting form but it does not meet the universal standards of an art piece. Nonetheless, I still consider it as an art. Why? Well probably one of the reasons is that I can relate to the piece. I often experience having to stare at an “art piece” and not seeing the art in it because I can’t relate my self to it.

There are standards to be considered in determining if the object is an art or not. The two most important standards are the form and universal substance. And on that note, two of the numerous forms of art are comic strip and film.

As a kid, I have always enjoyed reading comic books especially Arhcie. My love for Archie can be accounted for the fact that it's not boring at all. Some will agree to me when I say that reading is quite a hassle sometimes. But on this particular comic book, every story is different from the other. It fascinates me how the writer/s can think of endless stories about these groups of young people. In addition to that, the form itself gets me going! the visuals, the colors, the settings etc.. And most importantly, I can relate to the characters! Unfortunately, I stopped reading comic books. I got lazy reading. Hence, I got myself into watching tv series. There is the movement factor that sets it apart from comic strips. Instinctively we know that life denotes movement, thus people saw real life in films. And just like in any form of Art, film has its own particular elements that make it unique from all the rest. These elements (positon of the camera, characters, setting, story line etc..) we sometimes don't take notice of. Because of my Art appreciation class, I learned that becoming aware of these elements and the difficult process of creating a film make us more appreciable of this form of art!

No comments: